The Catalyst team has a wealth of experience in real estate development, community based projects, social enterprises and socially progressive businesses. If you are interested in working with a dynamic team of professionals who are helping to build affordable rental housing in communities throughout BC, we want to hear from you. Please note we have no active openings at this time.
Director, Property Operations
With four projects currently in occupancy and another three projects going into occupancy by the end of 2021, we are seeking a Director, Property Operations to oversee our growing portfolio of residential, commercial, and community spaces. The primary responsibility for this role is oversee our third party property managers and transition new projects from development to initial occupancy. The ideal candidate will be a generalist by nature – able to multi-task and make timely decisions with input from a variety of stakeholders and sources. The role requires a solutions-oriented approach, flexibility, and the ability to think outside the box.
The Director, Property Operations has one direct report and will report to the President. Responsibilities include:
Property Management (Residential, Commercial, and Community)
- Research, select, and oversee third-party property managers and typical operating activities for both current and future projects.
- Review and set annual budgets as well as capital and maintenance plans for all properties in operations.
- Reviewing all contracts and agreements as they relate to properties in operations, including but not limited to leases, funders, municipalities, joint ventures, asset management, etc.
- Frequent site visits throughout the Lower Mainland as well as Vancouver Island are required.
- Meet with and support Project Generation, Finance, and Project Delivery teams by providing tenant and operations input throughout the project life cycle. Provide tenant and operations perspective on various aspects of building design, operating costs, sustainability initiatives, etc.
- Review and provide input on reciprocal easement agreements, strata agreements, bylaws, and rules, financing as it relates to property operations.
- Manage deficiencies and warranty items in consultation with the Project Delivery team. Ensure smooth transition from construction into occupancy.
- Determine project-specific policies and procedures relating to tenanting and property operations, e.g. procurement, income and asset testing, tenanting plans, and tenancy agreements, often in collaboration with partners and other stakeholders.
- In consultation with external consultants, coordinate marketing needs relating to initial lease-up.
Administration, Governance, & Financials:
- Develop and maintain risk framework for projects in operations. Review and assess monthly verbal and financial reports from third party property managers. Ensure issues are addressed in a timely manner.
- Prepare and present reports to various stakeholders as required (including funders, partners, Board and Committees).
- Liaise with Property Operations Committee; attend Committee and Board meetings as required.
- Oversees creation and maintenance of tenant policies, handbooks, addendums, and various trackers.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders, including tenants, colleagues, and research partners.
- Lead meetings with our partners and external stakeholders to determine operations phase parameters.
- Curious and kind, with a solutions-oriented approach to problems and the ability to focus on the details while keeping an eye on the bigger picture.
- An excellent collaborator with strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Able to build and maintain strong relationships with a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- Work experience that demonstrates the above qualities and skills, with a minimum of 3 years of relevant work experience in residential management.
- Intermediate to advanced Microsoft Suite (PowerPoint, Excel and Word). An aptitude for software and technology would be beneficial.
- Non-profit and/or commercial experience will be considered an asset.
This job description may evolve and/or change over a period of time, and the successful candidate will be flexible and open to this.
How to apply:
Please send your resume in pdf format to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Director, Property Operations + Your Name” in the subject line.
This is a full-time position located in Vancouver, BC, primarily in a remote working environment. This posting will remain open until filled.
We look forward to hearing from you.